a talent of yours
I find this topic rather difficult. I generally find it difficult to talk about things I am good at. Not because I am humble, because we all know I'm not, but generally because I don't consider most things talents. Why does it matter that I can play three instruments or back some really spectacular desserts or curl my tongue? Those aren't really talents. If I could draw, or speak multiple languages, or insert myself into any conversation, or act, or, or, or, there are so many things I consider to be talents, and I can't do them. So talking about talents I have is complicated.
So I decided to tell you about one thing I will consider a talent. My current talent is balancing a full-time job, part-time school, a husband and a two year old. The balance isn't always stable (I missed a final exam by two weeks. Oops. But fortunatly my instructor was understanding and let me reschedule), and I suffer from "mommy guilt" when I think about all the time I could be spending with my kid and don't. On the other hand, I am good at my job. The people like me, I get good reviews of my performance, and they are trying to make my position permanent. I haven't failed any of my classes, and I am actually getting excellent grades in the classes I like and better-than-passing grades in the classes I don't care about. My husband loves me and is very supportive. And Gloria isn't being neglected. She is happy and learning lots. She laughs lots and enjoys helping me cook and do dishes (she pushes her chair up to the sink to help rinse the dishes. Then she pushes her sleeves up past her elbows and starts to stack the dishes in the draining rack. If I'm slow she tells me, "Mom, more." ) Yep, I'm going to con
sider that a talent.
No comments:
Post a Comment