1 1/2 lb hamburger
1/2 cup chopped onion (I don't measure this, chop an onion, good enough)
4 garlic cloves, minced (I get mine from a jar)
2 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained (rinsing the beans washes the farts off, so, please, rinse the beans)
2 cans (15 ounces each) tomato sauce (I didn't have any so I used one can of tomato paste instead and added extra water to the recipe)
2 cans (15 ounces each) stewed tomatoes, cut up
1 cup water
2 bay leaves
1/4 cup chili powder
1 tbsp salt
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp each basil, Italian seasoning and thyme
1 tbsp pepper
1 tsp each oregano, and marjoram
Cook the meat and onion together in a pan. Add the garlic and cook for a few more minutes. Then combine everything in a large slow cooker. Cook for 4-5 hours.
Notes:
* I skipped the slowcooker part, I just wanted chili for supper, I didn't want to cook it all night. I think it would be really good if it took 5 hours to cook, there would be time for the flavours to blend.
* I forgot the bay leaves, which was probably okay because I only cooked this for about 20 minutes anyway. I think they would add something to this.
* I thought it was weird to add all those Italian spices to the chili, certainly not the chili flavour I had expected, but not bad at all. I think next time I will use the can of tomatoes that already has the Italian seasonings in it. I also would use the slow cooker, but that will wait until winter.* I was planning to serve this with nacho chips and cheese. But apparently what I thought I had wasn't actually there, so we ate it with soup crackers instead. And Gloria got frozen peas in hers to cool it down so she could eat it. Peas in chili really isn't bad at all.
1 comment:
sounds yummy. I made chili the other night, too. I made it in the slow cooker, thinking that would heat the house up less than the stove, but then I had to have cornbread to go with it and turned on the oven anyways. It was yummy though.
Post a Comment