| I'm not a food photographer. The salad tastes better than it looks. |
2 cups water
1 cup quinoa
1/3 cup olive oil
1/3 cup fresh lime juice - about 2-3 limes4 tsp apple cider vinegar
2 1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp finely minced jalapeno pepper1 1/4 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed
1 cup diced red bell pepper
1 14oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp salt
Bring the water and quinoa to a boil in a medium saucepan. Cover, reduce to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes. Turn the heat off and leave the covered saucepan on the burner for another 4 minutes. Fluff with a fork and allow the quinoa to cool.
Place the quinoa in a large bowl. Whisk the oil, line juice, apple cider vinegar, cumin and jalapeno in a small bowl. Stir the dressing into the quinoa. Toss with the corn, read pepper, black beans, cilantro and salt. Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate in a sealed container for up to 3 days.
notes:
- I didn't read the part that says 1 tsp jalapeno. I used one whole jalapeno. I think it was a good decision. And really, is there any point to only 1 tsp jalapeno?
- I recommend letting the quinoa cool completely before you mix everything. I ended up with warm salad, but we left it in the fridge to cool for a bit. I think a bit of sitting time lets the flavours blend better. And try not to over cook the quinoa, it gets a bit mushy.
- I used fresh corn that I sliced off the cob. I think it was a good decision.
- I didn't put the cilantro in the salad, I decided I didn't want to ruin a perfectly good salad by putting something as vile as cilantro in it.
- I ate mine with sauerkraut. It was a good combination. We also had smokies and chili, so that's really why there was sauerkraut, but it mixed well with the salad.
1 comment:
I'll have to try it. Sounds good. Anytime a salad calls for "something as vile as cilantro" put in parsley - which is very good, and gives you the greenery without the soapy taste.
Post a Comment