You know those delicious date squares that you like? The ones that are yummy, but you really don't want to eat more than one, and now what do you do with them? These are like those, but with rhubarb, so they're better than the ones with dates. And the ingredients are local, really, dates in Saskatchewan? But I can get rhubarb from my yard. Well, actually my sister's yard, but close enough.
Rhubarb Matrimonial Squares
This recipe is from Grandma Taylor's cookbook.
| before I put it in the oven |
3 cups rhubarb, cut into 1/2" pieces
1 1/2 cups sugar, divided
2 tbsp cornstarch
1 3/4 cups rolled oats
1 1/2 cups flour
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 cup butter or margarine
Combine cut rhubarb with 1 cup sugar. Cook until tender. (no, don't add water) Combine 1/2 cup sugar with cornstarch. Stir into cooked rhubarb and continue cooking for 4-5 minutes. Cool. Combine rest of dry ingredients and cut into butter. Pat half of mixture into well oiled 9x9 pan. Spoon rhubarb filling over; put other half of oat mixture on top. Bake at 375 for 35-45 minutes.
3 comments:
Mmmm. Those are so yummy. I want some. Make some for me, and then eat them and tell me how good they were. I should post recipes on my blog. Then you can try some tasty vegetarian stuff.
Sounds really good. Coincidentally, I just made matrimonial squares last night! However, I substituted a mixture of triticale flakes and wheat flakes for the oats, because I really didn't want to kill anyone in the house (myself included).
By the way, have you noticed how none of your siblings or family members seem to update their blogs? Good work, by the way, Joyce.
Post a Comment