Friday, February 8, 2013

Morning memorization

I have started reading scripture to my kids in the morning.

I needed a way to memorize scripture.  I'm really bad at making time to read scripture and probably even worse at paying enough attention to commit any of it to memory.  A few months ago I found an idea for a memorization box at this blog.  I finally got around to making my own box.  Dollar store recipe box, and dividers.  I also bought index cards and then didn't use them because I decided I was too lazy to write scriptures out.  So I went to this site here where I downloaded (for free) scriptures.  All I had to do was hit "print" and then cut along the lines. 

So now I have cards in a box on my kitchen table.  Each morning at breakfast I pull the box over to me and I read the appropriate cards.  Gloria likes to help me find the cards we are reading that day.  And she really likes it if I can turn those verses into songs, fortunately I can do that with quite a few verses.  I also have a children's song book on my kitchen table, and after we read our verses for the day we pick a song (or three) from the song book to sing. 

Gloria seems to enjoy it.  She asks at supper if we can read from the box.  So we have started reading a chapter from the Bible at supper time.  Colin seems to enjoy the singing most right now.  We haven't memorized anything yet, we have simply been reading the scriptures, but we have only been doing this for a week.  Maybe in a few weeks of practicing I will work more on memorizing instead of just reading.  But it's a start. 




No comments: